Failure Mode and Effects Analysis
Failure Mode and Effects Analysis is a step-by-step approach for identifying the ways an asset or process can fail. The process utilizes a cross-functional team with knowledge about the process, asset or service. Once the team is assembled, the scope for the FMEA must be defined, the team must address the following questions for each asset or process under consideration:
- What are the functions of the asset (in line with the scope)
- How can each function fail to meet a required standard of performance?
- What scenarios can lead to those failures?
- What are the consequences of those failures?
- How serious are those consequences?
- How often will they occur?
- Can they be predicted?
- What is the associated risk with those failures?